Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Alicia Connection Captain

Red Scarf Girl
By Ji-Li Jiang
Rotation #2
Chapters 3, 4 & 5
The novel Red Scarf Girl by Ji-Li Jiang reminds me of another book, by Lensey Namioka. I read Ties That Bind, Ties That Break last year in 7th grade, and I have noticed a few similarities between the two. The first thing is that the protagonist is a young girl with a big family, and they are all living in the same house. I don't really remember the characters in Ties That Bind, but I remember the main character lived in a big house with her entire family (her parents and grandparents,) and she had a sister and (maybe) a brother. Ji-Li also lives with her parents grandparents, and siblings. Also, the setting in Ties That Bind is different from the setting in Red Scarf Girl, but both take place in China in the past. The third similarity and final similarity I have noticed so far is that both characters have family issues. The problem for the protagonist in Ties That Bind was that her family wanted to bind her feet because it was a custom in China, but she didn't want to have her feet bound. The conflict in Ji-Li's family is that she wanted to become a dancer (for the government I think?) but since her family had a bad past, they told her not to go to the audition. This is what I have noticed so far, but I will probably find more similarities as I read.



VS

No comments:

Post a Comment