Sunday, September 14, 2014

Connection Captain

Red Scarf Girl
Ji-Li Jiang
Chapters 10-12


Farm Learning. Digital image. Farm Project. Poughkeepsie, 15 Apr. 2014. Web. 14 Sept. 2014. <http://farmproject.org/content/farm-learning>.

      The second connection I made was when Ji-Li talked about Chairman Mao's new instruction to, "combine education with practical experience." Many kids in my class often complain about the fact that we should have classes that will actually help us when we are older. For example Ji-Li had to learn about agriculture and how to farm. People even used that topic as their speech, but what if your favorite classes are taken away to learn how to be a cashier? A year-round class of opening and closing a cash register to take out and insert money. If this change happened at our school, I bet that many people would be unhappy. You don't realize what you have until it is gone. 
Welcome New Teachers. Digital image. St. John Vianney Catholic School. SJV, 25 Aug. 2013. Web. 14 Sept. 2014. <http://stjohnv.org/school/announcements/2013-08-22-welcome-new-teachers/>.

      I have greatly enjoyed reading these past chapters, and I have realized that it is one of the few books that are required to read for school that I actually like. It is the type of genre that I would usually read by choose. My first connection happened when Ji-Li thought, "It was far less exciting than I had imagined. What a strange teacher, I thought." I had the same exact experience, but opposite. When I was nearing the end of third grade, each student was told the teacher they would be having for the next two years. I was so excited to open my letter, because I already knew the teacher I wanted. However, when I checked my letter, it was the teacher I least wanted. I wasn't that sad, but then I learned that I had no friends in my class, and that is when I became very disappointed. When I got to school on the first day of school, I had very low expectations. Yet, when we started our first class, he rapped for us. That is when I figured out that he was really nice and actually the best teacher out of the four. I became aware of the fact that you shouldn't judge people until you get to know them. 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment