Sunday, October 12, 2014

Red Scarf Girl - Post #1 - Line Illuminator

“Now, you have to choose between two roads.” “You can break with your family and follow Chairman Mao, or you can follow your father and become an enemy of the people.” His voice grew more severe. “In that case we would have many more study sessions, with your brother and sister too, and the Red Guard Committee and the school leaders. Think about it. We will come back to talk to you again.” (page.5)
This was one of the first quotes that caught my attention. I’m not sure for what reason it caught my attention. I am stuck in between if it was the decision and the ‘choose’ the person had to take and the position the person i or was in or the strictness the men is talking for example the severe and grown voice. I could really relate to the quote for many reasons and I think the first one is the 'chooses' because starting with 12-13 you start making your own decision and experiencing different consequences when you choose something new. But in the decision of having to choose a member of you family, your dad, or your president is a really hard decision. The book started really well because it makes you think some questions. For example if it is the author in that situation or was she? Who is talking? Who has to make that decision? Why does the person have to make the decision? 
The second quote I choose, brings a little bit of tension to the book. “ That year I was twelve years old, in sixth grade. That year the Cultural Revolution started.” I think that is a nice way to end the prologue because it is the “start” of the book and it brings tension. It makes you want to read the book. In other words it is the “hook” of the book. 
The third and last quote I choose from the book was “Come on, you guys!” “They're breaking the sign at the Great Prosperity Market!” I think this was a meaningful quote because they are “breaking the sign” in other words they are starting the revolution.
Image 1:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_China
Image 2:

http://www.republicanchina.org/revolution.html

This two images represents the flags before and after the revolution in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment