Friday, February 20, 2015

Marina Dissinger- Line Illuminator

1.  "I bent down and pretended to tie my shoelaces. But I could not block out her voice, dry, hoarse, and trembling" - Pg. 76

Source
This quote is very interesting because it has 
imagery in it. The reader can clearly see the scene in ones head, as the words "dry", "hoarse" and " trembling" make the writing more effective and touching. Additionally, this quote is important because the words represent what the people who were being judged felt like. Aunt Xi-wen for example, was humiliated by kids for her looks and actions, and this is how she felt, sad, without hope. Another example is Ji-li. On pg. 78, she felt sad when she found out the other students wrote a da-zi-bao about her.




2.   "One after another they continued to criticize me. I stared at their moving lips, understanding nothing." - Pg. 10
Source

This passage basically describes Ji-li's whole experience until now. People judged her by her family ties and habits. They would say that her having a maid was a sign of the four olds and exploitation. Additionally, all of the people she knew would bully her around the fact that her grandfather was a Landlord. They would say mean things behind her back, and would exclude her from class work, telling her mean things about her family. One example is on page 91, where she humiliated in front of the whole class by a student called Du Hai.

2 comments:

  1. Marina,
    I liked both of the quotes you choose. They both had a big part in this weeks section of reading. For the first quote, I agree that it does have imagery with the words "hoarse" and "trembling". I agree also that Aunt Xi-wen did feel humiliated and without hope. What do you think you would have felt like being in Aunt Xi-wen's situation? For the second quote, I agree that it does clearly explain her experience so far. How do you think you would have reacted if you were Ji-Li? Overall, I thought your post was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked you post, and also the quotes you chose. I really lied you first quote because as you said, it shows imagery, and also you chose a quote that is very significant in the book. It says how she was feeling and her reactions. I also like your second quote because as you already said, it shows all experiences Ji-Li had. Great post.

    ReplyDelete